The availability of innovative outdoors products just continues to expand, and the specific arena of camping stoves and cookware for backpacking is no exception. You can find outdoor cooking equipment to meet any specific individual needs, whether you are cooking for one or for 20. So, before you make any stove or cookware purchases, consider the options below to ensure you have just the right equipment for an enjoyable backpacking trip.
- MSR Windburner Stove System – If you require a more lightweight stove that will travel easily in your pack, this system uses canister fuel and works well in windy conditions. This is an optimal choice for cooking dehydrated backpacking meals.
- JetBoil MiniMo Cooking System – This set is also an optimal choice for backpackers trying to keep their gear lightweight. With a built-in igniter and great temperature control, this stove allows you to boil water as well as cook up to one liter of food.
- Camp Chef Everest – Featuring two burners and weighing in at only 12 pounds, this propane stove provides exceptional cooking power for any outdoor enthusiast. This stove allows the user to cook equally well at low and high temperatures.
- Coleman Classic – At a much lower price than the Camp Chef Everest but also offering two burners, this stove is a great option for an infrequent camper who simply needs to cook meals for a few people.
- Toaks Titanium – If you are looking for a more compact set designed to cook meals for one, this is the ideal set. It folds easily and features a triangular lid and is really just a personal cookpot for making a simple meal while on the trail.
- MSR Quick 2 System – This cookware set is made of hard-anodized aluminum that makes it easy to cook with and clean. It features pots in two different sizes, two double-wall insulated mugs, and two deep-dish plates. It is easy to wash, but bulky to carry.
- Optimus Terra HE Cookset – This set is also composed of the same hard-anodized aluminum and comes with two pots and a Teflon-coated frying pan. The downside of this cookware is that it is much heavier than other options.
- Primus Litech Super Set – Made of the same sturdy material with additional titanium coating, this set comes with a frying pan with a lid as well as two pots. Choose this cookware if you love to be a gourmet while in the outdoors.
Key Considerations Before Purchase
Is it important to you to have gear that is lightweight and compact? How large of a group will you be cooking for?
Do you prefer products with more features or are you only looking for the basics?
Are you more concerned with the price or features of your camping stove and cookware?
If you are backpacking and carrying all your gear to your campsite in one trip, the more lightweight and compact choices will be your focus. But, if you have access to your vehicle from your campsite, you may want to consider the higher capacity options.